West Dean is a small village situated in the broad valley of the River Dun straddling the Hampshire/Wiltshire border.
Over the years there have been various discoveries indicating that there has been a settlement in the West Dean area since prehistoric times. There are the remains of a Norman Motte and Baily structure in the village which was developed from an earlier Saxon fortification. The first historical mention of the village was in the year 800 AD. The village is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Duene or Dene.
It might be thought that with no school, shop or Public House West Dean might be a decaying village but this is by no means the case. West Dean is today a thriving village with a quite remarkable community spirit. People from all walks of life take an active part in the many village activities. There is never any difficulty assembling a team of volunteers to carry out tasks ranging from the Village Spring Clean, to river clearance to tidying the churchyard. The Village Hall is the main focal point of social activities in which there are regular social events greatly enjoyed by villagers and their guests. Dean Hill Sports and Social Club in Hillside Close originally meeting place for MOD employees, is in Hillside Close and much valued by those who use it. Membership open to anyone who wishes to join.
St Mary’s Church is an essential part of village life with regular services. A Community Choir, WD Forte, is being formed and is practicing for services such as Harvest Festival, Remembrance Sunday and Christmas.
The village is very fortunate to have its own railway station with trains stopping every hour for Salisbury or Romsey and Southampton, there is also a bus service.